Saturday 6 August 2011

A step back to the newsrooms of old

A question for all of you who, like me, remember pre-computerised newsrooms: Would you go back? Would you swap the ease of on screen make-up for the glue-pot, the casting off, the picture wheel and the terrific rows with the stonehands. Probably not. But this fascinating exercise by Journoterrorist might just tempt you. It involves making trainees produce a newspaper using typewriters and paste-up. Should stir up some ghosts ...
Hat-tip to @NoelRock

5 comments:

  1. What was the name of the excellent Daily Mail style book written by **** Sellers? I did a bit of stone subbing, used to hack off the Linotype operators as I could read the type backwards and upsidedown (still do) far more effective than phone hacking, if you can just read the documents on the lap of the person opposite you on any morning city commuter train, did cost the office a few first class ticket though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julian. The Simple Subs Book by Leslie Sellers. Out of print now and selling on Amazon, second hand, for £150. It's a great skill .. means my wife and I can read a book at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to do that just one more time. I'd be stuffed though without a Google window open to check names and spellings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an old copy of Bartholomew's Gazetteer Mike. And a Dods - 25 years out of date though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Leslie - who was something of a mentor to me when I was a young journalist - also wrote Doing It In Style.

    ReplyDelete